InnoferynaLF - lactoferrin with a multidirectional activity
InnoferynaLF - a product destined for newborns, infants, children and adults, including pregnant women, containing bovine lactoferrin with a multidirectional effect on the human organism suspended in MCT oil. The bovine lactoferrin found in InnoferynaLF has over 70% similarity to human lactoferrin in structure and function. As a protein having the ability to strongly and reversibly bind iron exhibits numerous properties including antimicrobial, immunomodulatory and anti-inflammatory.
Lactoferrin as a significant protein of the human body
Lactoferrin participates in many processes occurring inside the human body. It naturally occurs in body fluids, while in the highest concentration it is present in the colostrum and later milk nursing mother due to its antibacterial properties, which are extremely important for a newborn baby who still has an immature immune system. Its main role is the transport and storage of iron ions. As the only protein with this function it has the ability to carry iron over a wide pH range and is resistant to degradation. Its influence on the immune system is demonstrated by the fact that people with congenital or acquired deficiency of this protein are more likely to have recurrent infections.
InnoferynaLF (lactoferrin) stimulates the immune system
InnoferynaLF containing lactoferrin stimulates the immune system:
- is an element of non-specific immunity that creates the first line of defense of the organism against pathogens
- boosts immune system cells to fight more effectively by activating macrophages and NK cells, as well as mobilizing T cell maturation
- activates the production of antibodies and immunological memory.
InnoferynaLF (lactoferrin) combats microbes
The lactoferrin found in InnoferynaLF combats microbes:
- antibacterial and antifungal activity:
- binds iron ions at the infection site, depriving the micro-organism of the nutrient, which inhibits their development,
- damages cell membranes of bacteria and fungi,
- weakens bacterial formation of biofilms, a complex multicellular membrane-like structure and damages existing ones,
- has a broad spectrum of activity and supports the fight against bacterial strains resistant to certain antibiotics,
- intensifies the action of natural antibacterial agents present in the body, e.g. lysozyme,
- antiviral activity:
- blocks the host cell membrane receptors preventing infection,
- binds to the virus on its surface preventing intrusion into the host cells,
- it alerts immune cells and increases their inflow to the place of infection.
InnoferynaLF (lactoferrin) has anti-inflammatory properties
InnoferynaLF - lactoferrin, which has anti-inflammatory properties:
- calms the factors which leading to the development of inflammation and stimulates anti-inflammatory factors
- binds free iron, thus preventing the formation of free radicals and reduces oxidative stress
- it was also demonstrated inhibition of allergic reactions
InnoferynaLF (lactoferrin) seals the intestinal barrier
The main ingredient of InnoferynaLF - lactoferrin supports intestinal barrier sealing:
- stimulates the division and differentiation of intestinal epithelial cells
- supports the development of beneficial gut microflora (Bifidobacterium, Lactobacillus)
The effects of lactoferrin supplementation in newborns
Clinical studies with 6000 premature infants have shown that supplementation of lactoferrin (alone or with a probiotic containing Lactobacillus rhamnosus) to newborns with very low birth weight reduces the incidence of late-onset sepsis and necrotizing enterocolitis of grade II and higher . At the same time, all studies have confirmed the safety of such proceedings. Another important action of lactoferrin for infants is to support the use of iron in the body by increasing the absorption of this element in the intestine. Lactoferrin binds free iron and puts them inside the cell through special receptors on the intestinal membrane. This absorption takes place along the entire length of the small intestine, not only in the duodenum as in the case of absorption by the DMT-1 transporter.
The effects of lactoferrin supplementation in children and adults
Lactoferrin taken by children and adults also demonstrates multidirectional activity, including increases the immunity of these patients by activating and mobilizing the cells of the immune system, as well as benefits the probiotic bacteria that occur naturally in the intestine. It also supports the combat against viruses by increasing their chance of being detected by the immune system. Taking lactoferrin is also important during antibiotic therapy, because it supports the antibiotic by damaging the cell membranes of the bacteria and the multicellular structure produced by these organisms - biofilms. It also limits the development of pathogenic bacteria by binding the available iron, which is necessary for their multiplication. Another extremely important aspect of the action of lactoferrin is also to increase the effectiveness of anemia treatment by binding free iron and increasing its absorption in the intestine.
Medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) were introduced in 1950 to treat malabsorption. Since then, numerous studies have been carried out that have broadened knowledge about these compounds, their metabolism and clinical use also. Due to their different chemical structure, they show different properties than long-chain fatty acids commonly found in food. They are more effectively absorbed, they become a fast source of energy, they do not transform into adipose tissue, and they also do not cause atherosclerosis. In InnoferynaLF, MCT oil was used as a carrier of lactoferrin, which protects the product against the development of pathogenic microorganisms, which allowed for non-application preservatives and stabilizers.
InnoferynaLF - safety of use
InnoferynaLF can be used by newborns, infants, children and adults, including pregnant women. The safety of bovine lactoferrin use was confirmed by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) and the American Department of Health, which gave it the GRAS status (Generally Recognized as Safe). The product does not contain lactose and gluten, it can be safely administered to people who do not tolerate these ingredients.